[CCWG-ACCT] [Acct-Legal] Memo - Revised Powers Chart, Voluntary Model

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Jun 15 14:02:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

I agree with those who are argue that there is far greater power in the
Cooperative Model, aka Sidley's misnamed voluntary model, we currently
have than people are acknowledging. This is especially so with the many
improvements we have been discussing.

As we have seen on occasion when enough of us work together, the
multistakeholder process can  force the Board/Staff's hand.  I think
people exagerate the power exercised by the NTIA and its threat of
contract non-renewal.    Also remember that  we will still have a
possible RFP event;  the IANA Functions Review and the Separation Cross
Community WG can serve as the same forcing function if that is the only
sort of thing that convinces corporate ICANN.

Not only will be able to use the combined stakeholder power to force
issues as we done before, we will still have the whole pro
intergovernmental crowd waiting for us to fail so that they save the day
at the ITU or some other IGO.  That should be enough to inspire us.  If
it doesn't, I do not see how something dragging through the courts for
years will make much of a difference.

As I have argued before, I think the whole membership route offers first
a set of delays while we try to agree on it with the Board, and then
allows for a new set of accountability holes we have yet to fully
explore or discover - my greatest concern.  I believe we are rushing
into someting I think we just don't need for the transition.

But if we go with a membership model as so many insist, I believe that
only one where the SO or AC is the UA should be considered.

avri