[CCWG-ACCT] [Acct-Legal] Memo - Revised Powers Chart, Voluntary Model

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Fri Jun 19 17:50:10 UTC 2015

+1, but also a question for you Roelof:

The unintended side effects you mention - are they the ones associated with
the well-canvassed concerns around UAs, or do they go more broadly to the
allocation of authority beyond the Board of directors? Or something else?
Is it something you've teased out in a previous note?

cheers
Jordan

On 19 June 2015 at 14:44, Chris Disspain <ceo at auda.org.au> wrote:

> Roelof,
>
> Exceptionally well put!
>

> Cheers,
>

> Chris
>
> On 20 Jun 2015, at 03:38 , Roelof Meijer <Roelof.Meijer at sidn.nl> wrote:
>
> Keith,
>
> Here’s your bridge across the gap:
>
> "I believe ultimate authority must be with ICANN’s global
> multi-stakeholder community through its current and future SO-AC structures.
>>

> I fully share that belief. Where we differ is that you feel that
> authority will have to be legally enforceable. I belief that is
> unnecessary (and introduces all kinds of unwanted side effects), because it
> is "socially enforceable” (for lack of a better term; see my " that board
> would be paralyzed in all ways, face shame and defamation individually on a
> global scale and would ruin their personal careers completely”)
>
> Best,
>
> Roelof
>
> From: <Drazek>, Keith Drazek <kdrazek at verisign.com>
> Date: vrijdag 19 juni 2015 15:11
> To: Roelof Meijer <roelof.meijer at sidn.nl>, Alan Greenberg <
> alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>, Chris Disspain <ceo at auda.org.au>
> Cc: "accountability-cross-community at icann.org" <
> accountability-cross-community at icann.org>
> Subject: RE: [CCWG-ACCT] [Acct-Legal] Memo - Revised Powers Chart,
> Voluntary Model
>
> Hi Roelof,
>
> You believe that a future Board would never reject the community’s will. I
> believe it’s a possibility we need to protect against.
>
> You’re willing to rely on trust in a future, unknown Board. I believe we
> need to ensure future communities have the tools to hold the Board
> accountable.
>
> You’re willing to leave ultimate authority with the Board. I believe
> ultimate authority must be with ICANN’s global multi-stakeholder community
> through its current and future SO-AC structures.
>
> In the spirit of consensus-building, I hope we’re able to find a way to
> bridge these gaps. I believe we can.
>
> Best,
> Keith

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *