[CCWG-ACCT] Legal counsel engagement enhancements

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Sat Jun 20 19:24:27 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,

During last week's call, we agreed that the co-chair would engage with
the lawyers in order to optimize interactions between our group and the
independent legal counsel, taking into account the importance of quality
advice as well as the concerns regarding expenses.

We have met today with Holly and Rosemary and this is to report on the
ways forward we have agreed on :

* to avoid any misunderstanding on questions, as well as enable a better
assessment of costs, we will refrain from certifying questions until :
     * a discussion has taken place between lawyers and the colleague
asking the question, either through a regular call or through ad hoc
calls (such ad hoc calls would obviously be transcribed and open)
     * such a discussion has, if need be, produced a clarified version
of the question, an estimate of whether the response would require a lot
of research, and an indication of the potential value of the research
for the group's further deliberations.

* participation of lawyers to meetings and calls will be limited to a
maximum of 2. As a consequence, lawyers may not always be able to
respond to our questions instantly. In such cases, we will rely on the
above certification process.

* a "punch list" of issues will be produced avec Buenos Aires and shared
with the group as a project management tool.

We are convinced these simple steps will be useful to get the best value
out of the outstanding expertise of our cousel.

Best regards,

--
Mathieu WEILL
mathieu.weill at afnic.fr