[CCWG-ACCT] Further thoughts on the "empowered SO/AC model" discussion on Friday

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Sun Jun 21 15:43:05 UTC 2015

On 21/06/2015 16:16, Robin Gross wrote:
> It would be useful to play both scenarios out a bit - how would we do
> this under the Empowered Designator model and also the Hybrid Model?

Is there still interest in these models?

I thought they were only proposed as an alternative to UAs, as those
were thought to be problematic in a number of respects (bueaucratic and
formalistic, potential for loss of control over UA 'avatars', infinite
regression of accountability problem, etc).

I understood the Designator approach as simply being an alternative that
got "as much as possible" of the member model while avoiding these
perceived problems with UAs.

With the "Empowered SOAC" model, those concerns fall away. That being
so, is there any reason left to pursue the designator/hybrid model? That
is, is there any independent reason why someone might prefer it over the
Empowered SOAC model? If not, perhaps we can safely abandon these
alternatives and focus on the leading model.

--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
           21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929