[CCWG-ACCT] A question about WS1 v WS2

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Tue Jun 23 03:48:14 UTC 2015

Dear Co-Chairs,

NTIA has posed some very legitimate questions and I expect the CCWG will assess and address them as part of our ongoing community consensus-building process. This is healthy and in no way detracts from our work to date.

Our final consensus recommendation will be more refined and defensible thanks to the questions received from NTIA and the ICANN Board. I understand we may also receive questions this week from the GAC. We should welcome and address them all.

Regarding the need to get it done and done right....last October in Los Angeles, NTIA and ICANN together recommended bifurcation of our work into WS-1 and WS-2 to enable our ability to meet their preferred transition timelines. That's exactly what we've embraced and exactly what we should strive to deliver. The latest timeline (as described this morning by Fadi) anticipates finalization and approval of the CCWG WS-1 around the Dublin ICANN meeting in late October...4 months from now. We should be able to deliver a proposal by that date that meets the community's needs and NTIA's criteria.

Upon further reflection, it strikes me that our colleague may, in fact, prefer the IANA stewardship transition not happen at all. If memory serves, we have yet to receive a constructive recommendation or substantive contribution from him.  Under what specific circumstances would he consider the transition appropriate or desirable? What exactly does "get it right" mean to our colleague?  Would a Board-approved FOI for ccTLDs address any of our colleagues' opaque but persistent concerns?

Regards,
Keith