[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding bylaws drafting

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Jun 25 02:36:55 UTC 2015

Hello All,

Just following up on my comments during the CCWG session this afternoon on the drafting process.

I recommend considering the following approach:

- Identify a sub-team of the CCWG to write a short brief for each bylaws change required - including any draft text that has been developed so far

- Get the CCWG external council to confirm that the brief is achievable and is consistent with their earlier advice

- Get the ICANN legal team to draft bylaws changes consistent with the brief

-  the CCWG sub-team confirms that the language meets the brief

- where necessary (e.g. if the CCWG sub team does not believe that the draft meets the requirements)  get the CCWG external council to confirm that the draft is consistent with the objectives of the brief  (use this last step when necessary as we are using public funds to pay for the extra advice and we should be prudent with expenditure)

- once the CCWG sub team is happy with the text - it should be reviewed by the whole CCWG, before posting for public comment

For example, you could write a short brief on the changes required to incorporate the AoC reviews.   This could include simply  a cut and paste of the relevant AoC text - along  with any tweeks agreed within the CCWG - maybe changing the proposed timing of reviews, or perhaps the membership of the review team etc.

- ICANN legal can then draft language  for the bylaws that is consistent across the whole bylaws document

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin

-