[CCWG-ACCT] New topics / concerns - initiating discussions

Giovanni Seppia Giovanni.Seppia at eurid.eu
Thu Jun 25 14:14:07 UTC 2015

Hi Mathieu,

Happy to further elaborate.

Objective 3 of the FY16 ICANN Operating Plan and Budget - in line with the ICANN Strategy Plan FY16-FY20 - is “Advance Organisational, Technological and Operational Excellence”.

Goal 3.1, “Ensure ICANN’s long-term financial accountability, stability and sustainability”. Within it, ICANN aims to introduce the first internal EFQM radar evaluation ("The EFQM Excellence Model allows people to understand the cause and effect relationships between what their organisation does and the results it achieves”).

Goal 3.3, “Develop a globally diverse culture of knowledge and expertise available to ICANN’s Board, staff, and stakeholders”. Part of the goal is to identify benchmark organisations and derive key benchmarking metrics, leadership development, team effectiveness, learning and skill development.

At the same time, ICANN will soon launch its first strategy and operating objectives public dashboard. That should be in late August. This tool is of paramount importance both at internal level to help ICANN staff to self-assess their progress against the various goals and actions, and at the community level as it will empower the community to have a regularly updated overview of where ICANN stands against the strategy and operating objectives and goals.

Objective 5  of the FY16 ICANN Operating Plan and Budget - in line with the ICANN Strategy Plan FY16-FY20 - is “Develop and Implement a Global Public Interest Framework Bounded by ICANN’s Mission”.

Goal 5.1, ‘Act as a steward of the public interest”. Part of the goal is to “create framework to assist the decision-makers, policy–making bodies and advisory committees to align their work to the global public interest purpose”.

Goal 5.2, “Promote ethics, transparence and accountability across the ICANN community”. The goal includes regular review to monitor internal and external accountability.

Furthermore, as stated during the ccNSO meeting with ICANN Board session on Tuesday, ccNSO SOP session, I think that ICANN is making good progress against the introduction of a performance assessment culture. The ICANN Board should further support the positive culture of measuring performance and focussing on performance needs at senior management level.

Therefore, the current ICANN strategy and operating plans already contain explicit objectives, goals and actions to refine and eventually strengthen ICANN staff accountability culture as well as SO/AC empowerment, effectiveness and accountability (for SO/AC, Goal 1, “evolving SO/AC structures to increase Community efficiencies and effectiveness in ICANN processes and activities”, Goal 5.3.2 “enhanced relationships with SO/ACs and the wider community”).

It might indeed be quite valuable to refer and support the existing efforts in the CCWG proposal. At the same time, I would recommend to firmly support the need to ensure consistency and continuation of the accountability culture “building process” at ICANN staff senior level considering the changes that might occur when the new ICANN CEO is appointed (and considering what the community witnessed with previous CEO’s transitions).

Best,

Giovanni