[CCWG-ACCT] FYI - Public Comment on AoC and Organizational Reviews

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 15:46:46 UTC 2015

I don't read Mathieu's suggestion as "stopping" or "avoiding" AoC Reviews.
Rather, I think it is a matter of sorting out all that is in front of us as
a community, as an organization and as stakeholders.

There are at least two issues at play here:

1. *Potential "Reviewmageddon"*:  An avalanche of reviews in 2015-2016.
Factoring in AoC reviews, ATRT3 reviews, New gTLD Program reviews and the
by-laws based organizational reviews, we have a review calendar that may
constitute cruel and unusual punishment.  This increases the risk of
volunteer burnout, staff burnout, inattention to issues, suboptimal work
product, and increased breakdowns outside the Reviewmageddon in a community
already taxed by IANA/Accountability (and don't forget Work Stream 2!).  It
might be fun to put all that on a calendar and see how it looks -- more fun
than to try to work through it.  Something needs to be done to relieve this
situation.  Merely pushing the organizational reviews back does not relieve
that much of the pressure.

2. *Interplay between Accountability Work and AoC Reviews*:  The AoC
reviews will be reviewing a moving target, as the work of the CWG and CCWG
changes ICANN.  The AoC itself may disappear (subsumed in large part into
the bylaws) before the AoC reviews are completed.  New bylaws, processes
and structures will make it difficult to review ICANN in midstream -- are
these reviews of ICANN before, during or after IANA/Accountability changes
-- or all 3?  Of course, this would need to be worked out with NTIA, not
declared unilaterally (but I don't think anyone was suggesting that).  In
any event, we are best placed to consider the interplay between our work
and the AoC reviews.

On top of that, I sense and share Mathieu's concern that increased focus on
a multiplicity of reviews will drain participants and support from the
CCWG-Accountability.  While this may seem parochial, it is a well-founded
concern, and a chair, Mathieu's job description includes worrying about the
CCWG even when the focus of others is elsewhere.  I'm sure Mathieu is not
being monomaniacal, but it is his job (along with his co-Chairs) to warn us
that this is not "business as usual" and that the times call for ample
emphasis on and prioritizing of the work of the CCWG-Accountability.

These are valid concerns.  I would support a comment along the lines
Mathieu proposes.

Greg