[CCWG-ACCT] Recall of Board members

Chris LaHatte chris.lahatte at icann.org
Sun Mar 1 20:43:15 UTC 2015

To add to the complexity, as the Ombudsman I have no jurisdiction on issues
in relation to membership of the Board-See Bylaw V Section 3 (2) which
says-" the Ombudsman shall have no authority to act in any way with respect
to internal administrative matters, personnel matters, issues relating to
membership on the Board.". So the original intent of the bylaws, as cited by
Bruce Tonkin (with whom I agree on this issue) was to protect the directors
from possible political action.

By insulating the board in membership issues from the Ombudsman
investigation process does this prevent for example me investigating
diversity issues, which are a membership issue? Would I have a role if the
community wanted a board member investigated for issues or decisions? I have
had a small number of complaints about board members over the years. Is this
something the community wants me to continue?

I am anxious to ensure any changes to my mandate do have community support.

Regards

Chris LaHatte

Ombudsman

Blog   <https://omblog.icann.org/> https://omblog.icann.org/

Webpage  <http://www.icann.org/en/help/ombudsman>
http://www.icann.org/en/help/ombudsman

Confidentiality

All matters brought before the Ombudsman shall be treated as confidential.
The Ombudsman shall also take all reasonable steps necessary to preserve the
privacy of, and to avoid harm to, those parties not involved in the
complaint being investigated by the Ombudsman.The Ombudsman shall only make
inquiries about, or advise staff or Board members of the existence and
identity of, a complainant in order to further the resolution of the
complaint.  The Ombudsman shall take all reasonable steps necessary to
ensure that if staff and Board members are made aware of the existence and
identity of a complainant, they agree to maintain the confidential nature of
such information, except as necessary to further the resolution of a
complaint