[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for CCWG ACCT Session #14 24 February

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Mon Mar 2 00:04:16 UTC 2015

Hello Jordan,

>>  Bruce: who defines the global public interest?

The community.

This is basically a core value of ICANN.   As within any "values" - it is important to have a shared understanding of what it means across the community.

That is why it is the 5th strategic objective for ICANN:

"Develop and implement a global public interest framework bounded by ICANN's mission.

The Internet is a shared global resource, the greatest platform for knowledge in the history of the world. It drives continuous change in everything it touches: business, education, government, technology, and society.

As the Internet grows worldwide and society increases its dependency on it for all manner of activity, the Internet's systems of unique identifiers become more important and of global public interest. ICANN seeks to develop a public responsibility framework for promoting the global public interest in the coordination of the Internet's unique identifier systems and in furtherance of ICANN's mission.

The framework will clarify ICANN's roles, objectives and milestones in promoting the public interest through capacity building, and increasing the base of internationally diverse, knowledgeable, and engaged ICANN stakeholders."

I think it is best defined through discussion about what it means and doesn't mean. And to create some examples to illustrate what is in the global public interest.   For example having an interoperable Internet - is an example of something that is the in global public interest.

>> And who judges it in the context of removing one, more or all ICANN directors from their roles?

The segment of the community that has appointed the particular Board director, or the community-as-a-whole with respect to removing the whole Board.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin