[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for CCWG ACCT WP2 Meeting #2 02 March

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Mon Mar 2 19:19:29 UTC 2015

Dear All,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the WP2 Meeting #2  - 02 March will be available here:
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=52890537

Action Items

Istanbul: Looking into a meeting on Sunday, 22 March

ACTION ITEM: Becky to circulate revised chart to reflect discussions

Notes

This call is being recorded

Link to WP2 wiki  <https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/WP+2+Draft+Documents>
https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/WP+2+Draft+Documents

Istanbul: Looking into a meeting on Sunday, 22 March -

5 work items were identified on Friday (refer to
<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/52888740/Principles%20For%20Our%20Work%20annotated
2.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1425285125000&api=v2>
https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/52888740/Principles%20For%20Our%20Work%20annotated2
.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1425285125000&api=v2):

1 Contact with community on ICANN mission, core values

2 Refinement, improvement to ombudsman function

3 Refinement, improvement to reconsideration process

4 Refinement, improvement to independent review process

5 New Mechanisms

Jordan and Becky have compared notes and decided new mechanisms should be moved over to WP1

Feedback:

Principles for our Work:

- No comments

Work Item 1:

- What do we mean by community? Definition needed.

Suggestion to incorporate communities identified by ICG

- Do you refer to mission understood to be Bylaws - have you considered AoC integrated in Bylaws?

--> For volunteers to explore

Is ICANN's mission other than technical? Define technical.

--> Technical used to essentially limit role to reasonably necessary tasks needed to achieve
coordination

- How do we contact community? Would there be designated people?

--> this goes hand in hand with what is the community

Work Item 2:

- Conflict between empowering community and giving powerful role to ombudsman - ombudsman would be a
vector, not empowering.  Do we need an ombudsman if we are empowering community?

- Ombudsman connected with community through triggered/non-triggered

Work Item 3

Work Item 4

- Suggestion to combine 3 and 4

--> Reconsider - change mind whereas independent review - assessment whether consistent with mission
and core values.

- First review then reconsideration

- Reconsideration is made to BGC whereas independent review is more heavy-weight process involding
outside arbitral body (time consuming, resources) - these are two different recourse mechanisms.
Reconsideration is first step on road.

Work Item 5

--

Times for regular calls will be circulated for reports on progress

--

IAP-IRP

CWG did ask the CCWG whether would have independent appeal mechanism for purpose of challenging
delegation, redelegtions. CCWG responded we would have independent review mechanisms that might be
usable by affected community but noted that some parts of community (e.g. ccNSO) feel strongly that
it is their job to design any independent appeal mechanism. We might be providing tool they could
use. Our task is to suggest IRP to create standards for ordinary policy issues.

IRP could be used for IAP process but defining  IAP standards is not within CCWG work.

IAP was designed for only IANA related matters - it could be a subset of matters IRP currently takes
on.

ACTION ITEM: Becky to circulate revised chart to reflect discussions

Volunteers

Compact with Community

David Post

Alain Bidron