[CCWG-ACCT] Other forms of Accountability?

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Tue Mar 3 06:49:42 UTC 2015

hi all,

On 3 March 2015 at 14:31, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While I agree on the monopolistic analysis, I will just like to note that
> ICANN is not the only organisation in such situation; RIRs for instance is
> another example and they are ran by board.

The RIRs are membership organisations. Their boards are elected by their
members and the members essentially own the organisations - and so there is
a powerful direct accountability mechanism already in place to deal with
problems - a mechanism that ICANN lacks.

> I think it will be dangerous OR at least not advisable to subject staff to
> direct accountability to the community. The best that could be done is to
> get the board to do it's job and I think the ultimate ability to remove a
> board member would be enough incentive for any board to deliver on it's
> mandate.

I agree we can't have staff reporting to the community, but do think Jeff's
posts give us food for thought.

Jordan

jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *