[CCWG-ACCT] [Party1] template - removal of ICANN directors - draft 1

Roelof Meijer Roelof.Meijer at sidn.nl
Tue Mar 3 16:54:40 UTC 2015

Dear Kavouss,

I agree with you, and I think with most if not all, that it would be silly (and very counterproductive) to recall the whole board if one or two (a few) of its members of it are underperforming.

First of all, there would be a „safety catch”: there would never be a supermajority for such a proposal (to recall the whole board just for one or a few poor performers). And rightly so, because one or two underperforming members would hardly in any significant way prevent the proper functioning of the board as a whole.

The point I tried to make in today’s call, is that the board itself presently has the power to dismiss one or more of its members. It seems nobody can recall the board ever using that power. Very likely they never have. Very likely too, they have threatened a former member or two to do so if they would stand for reelection/reappointment after their first term or not quit by themselves..
So if the board feels (or the community convinces them) that one or more under performers actually are preventing the board from properly functioning, they would surely (especially with the option looming of the whole board being recalled by the community) dismiss the underperformers.

In the unthinkable situation that 1) a single or multiple board member(s) perform so poorly that the board as a whole can no longer function properly 2) the board fails to recognize that and/or fails to take action 3) the community recognizes that and stands ready to spill the whole board with a supermajority vote: a recall of the entire board is wholly justified in my opinion, as the board’s inaction indicates bad performance of the majority of the board.

Best,

Roelof