[CCWG-ACCT] RES: [ST-WP] Additional Stress Tests to discuss

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Thu Mar 5 00:52:28 UTC 2015

Hi Tijani,

In light of Fadi’s statement during his February 25 Senate testimony (as quoted by Phil Corwin in another email), there may be a risk to a successful and timely IANA Transition if the AoC’s US jurisdiction language is NOT incorporated into the bylaws.

Fadi’s statement that  ICANN “stands by” the requirements in the AoC (and the US jurisdiction requirement in particular) and that he believes incorporating the obligations into the bylaws is a good idea has set an expectation. If that expectation is not addressed and met by the community proposal, it will be very difficult for NTIA to explain to Congress why it was omitted. This could be used by some to try to derail the transition that we all want to happen.

Also, it’s important to note that Fadi’s statement was part of his prepared remarks, not an off-hand comment.  In those prepared remarks, he referenced the July 2014 letter that was sent to Steve Crocker by Senators Thune and Rubio where they called for the AoC obligations to be made permanent. As such, Fadi went out of his way to assure the Senators that ICANN would remain subject to US jurisdiction and that he expected the AoC obligations to be incorporated into the bylaws, as they had requested.

I hope this additional context helps.

Regards,
Keith