[CCWG-ACCT] Declaration issued in the Booking.com v ICANN IRP

Markus Kummer markus_kummer at bluewin.ch
Thu Mar 5 10:40:40 UTC 2015

Erika, all,

I agree — the WTO dispute settlement system works and deserves to be looked into. I mentioned it to several colleagues in off-line discussions and I welcome your initiative. The WTO system is unique in the intergovernmental context insofar as it has “real teeth” and is able to provide binding judgments. I talked to some WTO staffers a few weeks back to explore whether, and if so, in what ways we could draw lessons from the WTO.

They had some caveats, as the WTO dispute settlement is about trade disputes between governments. Private companies turn to their respective governments and ask them to take up their cause, but in the end the dispute is between two governments. The WTO system may therefore not be that easily be transposed into the ICANN environment. However, there is one key element that may be of interest. Under the old GATT regime — the predecessor of WTO --, any affected party could block rulings. Under the Marrakesh Agreements in 1994 the WTO was set up and the dysfunctional GATT dispute settlement system was replaced with a new system “with teeth”. Key was the introduction of a "negative consensus”, meaning that a consensus is needed to reject the ruling of a panel. More about it on the WTO website:

http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/disp_settlement_cbt_e/c2s2p1_e.htm

What makes it interesting for ICANN is that the WTO’s General Council — the organisation's highest-level decision-making body where all Member States are represented - retains the (political) authority over the panel findings but at the same time has virtually no power (or at best a very limited power)  to reject a panel decision.

Best regards
Markus