[CCWG-ACCT] Reconsideration Sub-Group of the CCWG Work Party 2 Review and Redress

Chris LaHatte chris.lahatte at icann.org
Mon Mar 9 03:58:28 UTC 2015

This discussion and the independent review panel discussions are useful but
I am concerned that there is a more fundamental issue. There needs to be a
full assessment of what can go to reconsideration, and what should go to an
independent review panel. If we are looking at issues of accountability in
the context of dispute resolution procedures, then we need to take a
systematic approach.

The 1st issue is the entry level for disputes. Are we trying to tweak the
existing systems, which have well-recognised deficiencies, or are we trying
to provide a better dispute resolution system? If this is the case, then we
need to think about criteria for entry into such a system, with structure
and procedure to enable the disputes to be handled with appropriate
standards of procedural fairness. There are issues for example with
reconsideration where as the ombudsman I have received complaints about a
conflict of interest between different committees of the board resulting in
a decision being heard by the board governance committee for reconsideration
decisions, where the complainant has said that the conflicts of interest are
fatal to a fair procedure. I immediately note that this is not the view of
at least some members of the board, but perception of bias is a critical
issue and designing a system, and should be avoided.

Similar issues arise with the IRP. There is discussion about how this
operates and members of the panel to be selected. There are mature
appointment systems with a number of organisations such as ICC and WIPO, and
rather than have panels selected by the community, again what some possible
connection causing a problem of perception of bias, it would be very easy to
tap into those resources to appoint experienced panellists.

Again, the entry level requirements for IRP need to be carefully considered
once the reconsideration process has been properly discussed. Are we talking
about a more wide-ranging process for deciding disputes? Or is this just the
narrow existing process, which we want to work better?

Just some discussion points.

Chris LaHatte

Ombudsman