[CCWG-ACCT] [Party2] Independent Review

Jacob Malthouse jacob at bigroom.ca
Mon Mar 9 19:39:59 UTC 2015

+1 Robin, Suzanne & James.

A couple of points on a more substantive note:

The main delay in current IRPs is the CEP and appointment of panelists.
This is taking 6-12 months, the desired length of the whole process
according to ICANN Bylaws. Other areas of timeline concern are the
emergency relief process, the hearing process, the deliberation process,
and the 'clarification' process, as explained below, taken from the ICDR
rules:

Days Action

Start Claimant request (Emergency relief may also be requested)
30 Respondent (ICANN) response
X Panel constituted (taking 6-12 months)
30 Claimant reply
30 Respondent (ICANN) sur-reply
X Hearing
60 Deliberation
60 Clarification
X ICANN Board consideration
X Board Reconsideration
X CEP/IRP redux (?)

>From what I can tell there does not seem to be actual agreement between
ICDR and ICANN about the supplementary procedures and how and when they
apply. See:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/procedural-order-2-10nov14-en.pdf
-- this is an indication that the group needs to be sure that what it comes
up with doesn't look good on paper and then fall down in implementation.

Also, as identified in the table, the final element of an IRP is a Board
action, which may or may not be up for reconsideration and IRP all over
again for other reasons, effectively putting any ICANN Board decision at
risk of an infinite delay.

Of note, there is a provision for an expedited IRP in the ICDR rules that
takes only 60 days. There is a cap on the damages threshold but parties can
jointly agree to waive the cap. No one has yet availed themselves of this.
I found this a helpful read in this regard: The case against arbitration:
do the doubters have a point? -
http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=76145cb6-bb5b-4937-b6d9-8d57c855d467

Best, J.

Jacob Malthouse