[CCWG-ACCT] Testimony from Fadi Chehade at the USA Senate hearing

Carrie Devorah carriedev at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 05:10:48 UTC 2015

Hi

ICANN is currently a steward of an endeavor built with American taxpayer
money. IANA belongs to the American people.

The pull for IANA out of America is coming from the UN

Sincerely
Carrie Devorah
www.centerforcopyrightintegrity.com

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 12:59 AM, Rahul Sharma <wisdom.stoic at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In his testimony, Fadi said “*ICANN has its global headquarters in the
> United States, and there are no plans for that to change*.” When I met
> Fadi two days back in New Delhi, he restated that now is not the time for
> ICANN to move out of US; instead let's us all focus on stewardship
> transition. That means ICANN will continue to remain subject to US laws
> and jurisdiction, and ICANN even isn’t even considering propositions made
> by several to move ICANN out of US. Also as far as I am aware, the working
> group on ICANN Accountability (CCWG), is also not debating on this
> particular aspect.
>

> My question is a) What are the Interest of ICANN in continuing to remain
> subject to US jurisdiction and US laws? And b) If ICANN is to truly emerge
> as a global institution, and to change the perception of other nation
> states and stakeholder over USG special relation with ICANN, don’t you
> think ICANN should move out of US, and ICANN & its functions should be
> subject to global laws, not state of California laws?
>

> Look forward to views of members. It is really an important issue that
> should be discussed.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Rahul Sharma
>
> On 6 March 2015 at 02:57, Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>>  Thanks for the link David.   I have attached the PDF of the testimony
>> for convenience.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Bruce Tonkin

Sincerely
CARRIE Devorah
 562 688 2883

DISCLAIMER :
With the continuing crossing and interfacing of platforms both on & off
line both with & without our knowledge nor approval to note nothing sent
over the Internet anymore is ever private nor should be presumed to be so.
If it is that much of a secret, say nothing. If you must? Take a lesson
from our military- hand write the note, chew then swallow