[CCWG-ACCT] Work Stream 1 and Work Stream 2: Comments based on impressions from Meeting Notes.

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 09:12:09 UTC 2015

Dear All,
I am not clear of comments made by MR. Sivasubramanian M.
In his message  times 0154 UTC he mentioned  Quote

"
> *Notes:  2. Brief Discussion:*
>
>    - *WS2 - no need to be in place before transition takes place but
>    needs to take place* *post transition."*
>
> I  fully agree that  : Three items need to be put in place as part of
WS1.

>    - Recalling members of the ICANN board of directors.
>

>    - Community empowerment over ICANN’s management.
>

>    - Limiting the scope of ICANN’s activity.

   -

However, I am not aware that it has been decided  by CCWG that
pre-transition changes to the Accountability framework is minimal with
major improvements to discussed and carried out on an ongoing basis post
transition.

In my view , it is highly desirable to think of s the above mentioned three
items  related to  the Accountability framework as the inclusion of
provisions to recall members of the Board, limiting the scope of ICANN's
activity or even Community empowerment over ICANN management.

Mr.Sivasubramanian M. continued in that message  to indicate the following

 "*Within a well-considered and larger Accountability environment such
changes could be effected in phases, in tune with a larger and clearer blue
print, but without even a beginning on such a blue print, it is unwise to
think of the changes as proposed for WS1. These provisions, if included
pre-transition and in a rush, could prove counter productive"*
Unquote
Again in my view thinking  ,discussing and addressing of those three items
are quite essential under WS1 and thus we are on proper track  .

I do not agree the  At best, WS 1 could discuss such changes but leave it
for implementation post transition, after more elaborate thinking.On the
contrary we need to take all possible measures for their implantation as
soon as possible
MR. Sivasubramanian M.  in his message times 07,15 UTC indicated

"*We did discuss how Work Steam 1 and 2 would look at areas of
Accountability improvements before and after transition but not how the
exact items of improvements would be split between pre and post-transition.
Also, though the following items were discussed, it is only in this message
that the following items appear conclusively as items to be implemented
before transition:*

>    - *Recalling members of the ICANN board of directors.*
>

>    - *Community empowerment over ICANN’s management.*
>

>    -
> *Limiting the scope of ICANN’s activity.  *

*Even if late, there may not be any harm in being thorough on the positive
consequences of these sweeping changes, as also in thinking thorough
probable unintended consequences.*

*Thank you"*
Unquote
Here I fail to understand the objectives of the later part
In his view , should we discuss and implement the items below
 *Recalling members of the ICANN board of directors.*

   - *Community empowerment over ICANN’s management.*

   - *Limiting the scope of ICANN’s activity.*

Or we should not discuss nor implement them?

In my view WE SHOULD DISCUSS, ADDRESS AND MAKE NECESSARY PROVISIONS FOR
THEIR IMPLEMENTATION .

May I ask Jordan or Steve TO CLARIFY THE MATTER

Kavouss