[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding ICANN's adherence to "international law"

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 21:49:16 UTC 2015

At 10:41 PM 3/15/2015, Rahul Sharma wrote:

>+1Â  David and Phil

>Since IRP is only meant to review if Board
>decisions are in line and consistent with
>procedures and principles established, and as
>such cannot challenge any Board decision, a Body
>that ensures that ICANN adheres to international
>laws, and if its decisions are legitimate or not
>Â and should be challenged should be (1) an
>independent body, constituted by a process
>independent from ICANN and (2) and have
>expertise in international law, and not just commercial arbitration

Rahul:  Just to be clear:  it wasn't my
understanding that there would be a body the
"ensures that ICANN adheres to international
laws."  In my opinion (which may or may not be
shared by others), an Independent Review Panel,
which ensures that ICANN adheres to (a) its
commitment to consensus decision-making (b)
within the stated mission (i.e., only makes
policies reasonably necessary for security and
stability of the DNS), that will go a long way to
keeping the Board within proper limits.  I'm not
convinced that a second body charged with
enforcing international law would be helpful or
necessary, and might just over-complicate the process.
David

book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n