[CCWG-ACCT] Call for requirement on the issue of jurisdiction

Giovanni Seppia Giovanni.Seppia at eurid.eu
Fri Mar 20 07:37:27 UTC 2015

+ 1

Giovanni

On 19 Mar 2015, at 21:55, Mathieu Weill <mathieu.weill at afnic.fr<mailto:mathieu.weill at afnic.fr>> wrote:

Dear Carlos, Dear Greg, Dear Colleagues,

I fully agree that we need to focus our work on work stream 1 issue, as was recalled during our last meeting. Still, it is important however that we can explain why a specific topic was considered relevant for a work stream.

Carlos, from your message, I understand that you suggest to identify the various layers of the jurisdiction issue. My understanding is that the following layers are mentioned in your messages :
- place and jurisdiction of incorporation
- jurisdiction of places of physical presence
- governing law for contracts
- ability to sue and be sued in a specific jurisdiction
- tax system

I would recommend we use this framework to clarify the associated requirements. For instance, and I stress this is just personal brainstorming, for contracts, they need to be in a stable and predictable legal regime.
The place of incorporation should certainly be in a jurisdiction with strong corporate governance legislation, providing efficient accountability, but at the same time, enabling flexibility so that the multistakeholder model can be translated into this legal framework.
Places of physical presence need to provide stable labour legal frameworks(to hire staff), and some level of flexibility for visas (to accomodate international staff and travel by community members)
Physical presence should also take into account security concerns, both for the sake of staff as well as for operations.

This is the kind of requirement (the above list is non exhaustive and can be challenged) we should look at to determine our next steps on this question.

I hope this helps clarify and I encourage the colleagues who brought up this issue on the list to provide their input.

best,
Mathieu