[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: [CWG-Stewardship] RySG IANA Statement

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 03:25:47 UTC 2015

I recognize that the registries have a unique and significant interest in
the continuing operational excellence of the IANA Functions.

However, I believe there needs to be a voice and a role for the rest of the
multistakeholder community in the CSC.  I don't think this is what the NTIA
was looking for when it sought to "transition key Internet domain name
functions to the global multistakeholder community."  A customer only CSC
with no other organized oversight body sounds like a registries paradise,
but not a multistakeholder reality.

We've been round and round on this before, both in the CWG and in RFP3.  In
RFP3, the conclusion was that there should be at least one representative
from the non-registries portion of the multistakeholder community.  This
will aid in keeping this an open, transparent process.

There is at least one positive aspect of this suggestion -- we don't have
to worry about the possibility of "capture" since it's already captured.

On other points -- I have been participating (to a more modest extent) in
the CCWG as well as in this group.  I think the danger of forum shopping or
inconsistent results is way overstated in this document.  There is a very
real interest in coordination in both WGs and I think the radical step of
foregoing all accountability concerns in this CWG is a radical solution to
a very modest issue (and one that is well in hand).  (I would also note
that should such a significant change in the remit of both groups be
pursued, it would require charter amendments for both groups, to be
approved by all of the chartering organizations.)

I would also reject the suggestion that the MRT is excess baggage and there
is no need for truly multistakeholder oversight.

We'll need to balance self-interest and public interest if we are to get to
the end of the road.

Greg Shatan

.