[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for CCWG ACCT F2F Day 1 Session 1 | 23 March

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Mon Mar 23 19:15:51 UTC 2015

Dear all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CCWG ACCT Face to Face DAY 1 Session 1 on 23 March
will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/Session+1

These high-level notes were prepared to help you navigate through content of the call and do not
substitute in any way the transcript.

Action Items

Action:  Becky's group to provide a robust rational for the changes and the explanation of sources:
to review document with  a redline version vs existing bylaws and explain rationale / origin of
suggested changes

** (action) There are outstanding issues on  individual values and missions mentioned on the list
still need to be addressed

Notes

DAY 1: Monday, 23 March 09:00-10:30 EET, Meeting Room #25

*        Roll Call & Introduction

*        Erika Mann, Chris Disspain not in AC room.

*        Thanks from chairs to colleagues for the work achieved since Frankfurt and the work
achieved and achieved on time.

*        As we develop our proposals please voice your doubts.  But avoid interventions that just
agree with the past speakers (+1 on the chat.)

*        Focus on agreement and disagreement and improving shared understanding

Working methods:

*        Use the room to raise hand to speak (and lower when spoken)

*        Use the tools to show agreement.

*        Use the "agree" tool to indicate agreement, we are not deciding here.  We will follow rule
of not deciding at the same meeting.

*        Focus of the meeting will be Work Stream 1.  Quality proposals: may adjust the level of
details; focus on principles, then requirements, then the full details.

*        Quality proposals: may adjust the level of details; focus on principles, then requirements,
then the full details.  Start with what we know: the existing
mechanisms within ICANN we are all familiar with.  The legal advice we have received so far. Focus
on WS1.

*        Quality first and details second.

Approval of agenda

*        broad issues on day 1, and time on day two to return to unfinished, under-addressed issues.

*        And discuss timeline, public comments, communication from the meeting.

*        Agenda accepted.

Issue 1.  Mission, vision & value statement

Four building blocks:

* Empowered community (people)

* Board (Executive)

* Principles (Constitution)

* Independent Review Mechanisms (Judiciary)

Appeals testing again the principles to see of something has gone off track.

Our principles underpin all our work for the next two days.

Suggestion to take a broader view of the organization, not a single focus on the board.

Looking at all areas of the organization.

Mission statement in the bylaws that talks of coordination of unique identifiers.

Specification 1 - is what's in the registry and register agreements.  What is fair game

ICANN can develop and impose a range of topics on contracted parties.

Q.  operators of new gTLD - why singled out?  A. taken from spec 1 of the new registry agreement

Current mission statement talks of coord at the overall level of unique identifiers and technical
functions.  These are preserved in the proposed documents, but include specification 1. Same
language about dIP addresses and protocols but more detail when comes to domain names

Concrete about what ICANN is not about:  ICANN is not about regulating content.  And what the
mission is not about can be added as we discuss.

11 core values in the bylaws and  1 overarching value.  We will not give each the same value and
weight so as not to defuse what the core issue are.  Divided as two:

(1)  "commitments"  how ICANN is supposed to perform it's job

These are absolute commitments ICANN makes to the community and the community makes to each other.

Some values so important, when balanced they should be balance if particular way.  in a "Substantial
and Compelling Reason in the Public Interest", narrowly tailored and no broader than to achieve the
goal.

Need to capture all the core values: are the categorized appropriately as those requiring the high
standard and those lesser.

Noted that this is an evolution of the mission, reflecting recent developments.

Concern/doubt about the categorizing as higher/less values.  Some new distinction may be helpful.

Transparency and how clear these changes may be. These are very basis aspects of ICANN.  Any change
even to nuance, takes a great deal of explanation.  Such specific changes.  In public comment will
need to be clearly explained.

Concern that this is creating a new ICANN.  Consider that the changes could be made overtime, rather
than making them proposals for the end of June 2015.

Suggested the balancing language proposed protects the commitments more that the current bylaws
language. Necessary now as WS1 track,  as these are fundamental changes that underpin other
proposals from the group.  The proposals are generally not new, consolidating agreed positions from
other ICANN sources.

These provide objective standards to point to for the processes of review and redress,

Explicit exclusions: invites grey areas.  Internet community:  make some link to the stakeholders
already defined as the community it.  Public Interest is not defined. Constitution references market
mechanism, which is unusual.  Constitutions often have a reference to justice, e.g. human rights,
and closest the proposal comes is for respect diversity

Action:  Becky's group to provide a robust rational for the changes and the explanation of sources:
to review document with  a redline version vs existing bylaws and explain rationale / origin of
suggested changes

** (action) There are outstanding issues on  individual values and missions mentioned on the list
still need to be addressed

ICANN determination of the public interest was the outcome of the ICANN process wherein we discussed
the various perspectives on the global pubic interest and came to ICANN consensus on what it meant
to us at this point in time

END Session 1