[CCWG-ACCT] Some comments

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Tue Mar 24 01:33:22 UTC 2015

Hello Tijani.

" Another issue regarding removing the board is leaving ICANN without board for a relatively long period (time necessary for electing directors selected by the SO/ACs and time for the nomcom to find and select the other members).
In my opinion, ICANN can’t live one day without Board. That’s why I propose that the bylaws be changed so that each entity appointing or selecting the Board members appoint or select 2 persons: a Board director and an alternate one. If it happen (and I hope it will not) that the community remove the Board, the alternates will form the replacement board for the remaining term period of the outgoing board, or for an interim period till the process of selecting/appointing a new board."

One option to consider is the process used with electing some Governments.

By removing the Board - you are  effectively triggering an early election/appointments process - perhaps with a defined timeframe - e.g. triggers a 90 day process to elect/appoint new Board members.

During that period you could have the Board enter into a form of "caretaker" mode.   In that mode - no new policies or new major expenditures (apart from the normal staff salary bill) would be able to be approved.

Regards
Bruce Tonkin