[CCWG-ACCT] Some comments

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 01:56:28 UTC 2015

I think we should find out what existing "best practice" is from our
counsel and/or experts. Spilling the board is not unknown, and there must
be existing solutions.  It's unlikely we'll need to invent one.

Greg

On Monday, March 23, 2015, Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>
wrote:

> Hello Tijani.
>
> " Another issue regarding removing the board is leaving ICANN without
> board for a relatively long period (time necessary for electing directors
> selected by the SO/ACs and time for the nomcom to find and select the other
> members).
> In my opinion, ICANN can’t live one day without Board. That’s why I
> propose that the bylaws be changed so that each entity appointing or
> selecting the Board members appoint or select 2 persons: a Board director
> and an alternate one. If it happen (and I hope it will not) that the
> community remove the Board, the alternates will form the replacement board
> for the remaining term period of the outgoing board, or for an interim
> period till the process of selecting/appointing a new board."
>
> One option to consider is the process used with electing some Governments.
>
> By removing the Board - you are  effectively triggering an early
> election/appointments process - perhaps with a defined timeframe - e.g.
> triggers a 90 day process to elect/appoint new Board members.
>
> During that period you could have the Board enter into a form of
> "caretaker" mode.   In that mode - no new policies or new major
> expenditures (apart from the normal staff salary bill) would be able to be
> approved.
>
> Regards
> Bruce Tonkin

*Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*Partner* *| IP | Technology | Media | Internet*

*666 Third Avenue | New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>*

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*