[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding financial reporting versus auditing

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Tue Mar 24 07:12:43 UTC 2015

Forensic audits means something slightly different to me Bruce, but to be clear I am not suggesting misconduct.  I am, however, suggesting that the absence of detail in the financial reporting is a barrier to good governance.  I suppose that means that I =am= asking what percentage of ICANN's funds are spent on the IANA function.  That would seem to me to be a critical question since, after all, that is the core of ICANN's mission.  If it were to turn out, hypothetically, that ICANN spends 90% of its funds on the IANA function and related policy development and compliance, broadly defined, that would be good news.  If that number were 30% that would be something that the community would want, very much, to take into account in its oversight of the staff and corporation.

If, in fact, you are telling me that such records do not exist in the form I'm speaking about, that seems to me to call for greater scrutiny rather than less.  In my experience a "deep dive" or "forensic audit" or "detailed financial" could, at a minimum, sample the past several years and give us a sense of how the funds are expended at a finer level of detail ....

Regards
Paul

Paul Rosenzweig
paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com