[CCWG-ACCT] Internet Principles by ICANN in Strategic Plan

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Mon Mar 30 14:22:04 UTC 2015

I think the questions for the CCWG are as follows.

[Note this is not a question on the substance of the NetMundial Principles, NetMundial Initiative, or anything else; it’s a question of process and decision-making.]

If we look back to the Montevideo Statement, the NetMundial Principles, and the multitude of MOUs signed by ICANN with various governments and organizations…

1.       Should the ICANN CEO have the ability to unilaterally enter into agreements or Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) with governments or governmental bodies?

2.       Should the ICANN CEO have the ability to unilaterally enter into agreements or Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) with industry groups and organizations (such as the so-called I* organizations)?

3.       Should the ICANN community have the ability to participate in, or comment on, any such deliberations before the CEO commits the organization (and the community) to a new agreement or obligations?

4.       Should the community be the driver of any such external engagement, or do we want future CEOs leading the charge?

5.       How do we ensure the results we want and expect?

Obviously a CEO has certain responsibilities for running the organization and creating an environment within which the community can do our bottom-up, consensus-based policy development work. Those responsibilities will require a certain degree of latitude in operational agreements, service contracts, etc.  I’m thinking more about external-facing / political agreements (such as the NetMundial Initiative) where ICANN’s staff resources, financial resources and “brand” are committed to an external effort without the concurrence or direction of the ICANN community.

Regards,
Keith