[CCWG-ACCT] GAO meeting request

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Mon Mar 30 22:35:39 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

> I get that some people are concerned in the way you have expressed. What
> I’m not clear about is ‘what is the fear?’. We have 3 very experienced
> people chairing the CCWG. What are we concerned that they’ll do?
>
> Chris

As more information has become available about the study the less pensive I
am about it. It obviously is a much wider and more encompassing study than
we alerted to at the start of this thread. I certainly have complete
confidence in the knowledge and intent of our co-chairs. However...

My concern is more about linguistics and culture. We have had
misunderstandings during this process which have been attributed to bad
word choice or poor selection of communication vehicle. That shouldn't be a
problem if this were more of a European style government inquiry, a U.K.
style White Paper for example. Linguistic errors and misunderstandings are
easily corrected in nonpartisan studies. However, having worked for a
period on The Hill I can tell you that all G.A.O. studies are not created
equal. Yes, you can use them to find 'the truth', such as it is, in an
unbiased way. You can also use them to get data to buttress the position
you have already decided you want to have. It perhaps shouldn't be that way
but at times it is.

Requester Mike Kelly was the author of the Defending Internet Freedom Act
of 2014. Requesters  Blackburn, Shimkus and Rokita were all co-sponsors of
the DOTCOM Act. I would suggest that these fine Congresspeople aren't
looking to develop their position, they more likely are looking for
information to buttress it. As we now know this is a wide ranging study
involving many interested parties then, yes, I would agree that our
co-chairs should participate. However I'd suggest they should not do so
hoping to convince anyone of anything but rather should, as has been
suggested, merely provide procedural information rather than any
information of substance or opinion.

Ed