[CCWG-ACCT] GAO meeting request

James Gannon james at cyberinvasion.net
Mon Mar 30 23:29:07 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

No fear mongering here, just any consultations with the GAO need to be considered on how they are framed as to the work of this group, seemingly innocuous statements can be very easily  misinterpreted or turned to support a variety of views that may be supportive or combatative to the work we are all doing. Having heard that GAO is consulting with a number of stakeholders my concerns are tempered somewhat but I still think that this needs to be handled carefully.

Some of my initial thoughts based on the discussion brief are inline below, for some of this I am playing devil's advocate as to how the responses could be utilized:

Topics for Discussion

1.    What is your experience related to the IANA functions and NTIA's role?

JG: This is a question that may be asked of the chairs in their personal capacity, no issue here at all.

2.    How would you describe NTIA's current role with regard to the IANA functions (e.g., stewardship, administrative/clerical, backstop, etc)?

JG: This is a factual question best answered by IANA or NTIA

3.    If you consider the implications of transitioning NTIA's role to a global multistakeholder community, what are the potential risks, if any, that come to mind?

a.    What risks can you identify if the transition does occur (i.e., such as any technical, operational, or accountability risks that are currently mitigated by NTIA's contract with ICANN)?

b.    What are the potential risks if the transition does not occur?

c.    Are you aware of the list of contingencies being considered by the cross-community working group on enhancing ICANN accountability (CCWG-Accountability)? If so, to what extent do you think this is a comprehensive list? Which risks, if any, are present regardless of NTIA's oversight role?

JG: I would have concerns that answers to this question could be used to bolster some who wish to see this transition fail. Stress testing and risk management can never be fully comprehensive but this can very easily be built into a narrative.

4.    Who, specifically, of the multi-stakeholder community might be most impacted by a transition of NTIA's role?  Are these potentially-impacted stakeholders sufficiently represented by the discussion and efforts to develop a transition proposal?

a.    [If stakeholder is from one of the multi-stakeholder constituency groups in ICANN] What is the process for raising concerns that arise from the perspective of your constituency to the multi-stakeholder community and to what extent do you think this process is effective in ensuring that all issues are considered in policy development and decisionmaking?

JG: Again I would have concerns that a narrative could be built around balance and bias. I think the section on policy development and decision making is outside of the remit of this group, we are not examining the fundamentals of ICANNS multistakeholderism, if this question is framed specifically as to the multistakeholder composition of the CCWGs composition then I see less of an issue with this question.

5.    What are the most important issues for the transition proposal to address? Do you have a view on what structure or approach could most effectively address these issues?

JG: Great topic for interaction, can see definite value for both sides in discussing this.

·         What factors should be considered when evaluating transition proposals? To what extent do NTIA's core requirements address potential risks? (From the preamble: The extent to which NTIA's core requirements for the transition provide an effective framework to evaluate the transition proposal.)

JG: The first part of this question perfect again a great topic to discuss, the second part I do not believe is for us to define. The NTIA has delivered to us its requirements and we are working towards them, I don't feel it's the position of the CCWG to assess if those requirements are adequate or not.

As I said above if the GAO is meeting with multiple groups in order to build a solid balanced and informed opinion to deliver to the requesting parties then I support us engaging in that process, indeed even if the CCWG was the sole interviewee I would support the meeting, but I still believe that solid ground rules for any engagement which may reflect on the work of the group need to be established. I have 100% confidence in our co-chairs, but we need to give them all of the information and a solid framework of how responses on behalf of the group may be presented.

If the chairs are to meet purely in their personal capacities then much of what I said may be moot but that has yet to be determined.

James