[CCWG-ACCT] [ccnso-members] about the CCWG 30-day comment period

Kieren McCarthy kierenmccarthy at gmail.com
Wed May 6 16:04:09 UTC 2015

Hello all,

So I worked at ICANN for a number of years and a big part of my focus was on improving the public comment periods.

I don't see anything wrong with ICANN staff shortening a comment period *if* they are held accountable for that decision.

It should be the general manager of Public Participation and one other relevant senior staffer. And they should be named. That is accountability.

If they make that decision without communicating sufficiently with the community, then their names are on it and they can be told in no uncertain terms that it was not appropriate.

That will cause them to communicate in future and then we don't create yet another process within a process.

ICANN staff should be allowed to take responsibility and the community can provide that by tying it with accountability.

There's an opportunity here for real improvement rather than teeth gnashing.

Kieren

-
[sent through phone]