[CCWG-ACCT] Please review regarding IAB comments on Mission Statement

Chris Disspain ceo at auda.org.au
Sun Nov 1 10:55:49 UTC 2015

Whilst all of this claim and counterclaim, legal banter, use of Latin, general attempts to out-lawyer one another and engaging in academic discourse whilst wearing a virtual wig and gown is all very interesting, the key points IMO are these:

A suggestion has been made that the wording of the current bylaw could be interpreted in a way that inaccurately reflects the true position. That may or may not be correct.

Some suggestions have been made about alternative wording.

A change in the wording to be "more accurate" in respect to the protocol parameters could well make the wording "less accurate" in respect to the DNS (or aspects of it).

All suggested alternatives are open to interpretation. The only people qualified to wordsmith this are US corporate lawyers with experience in Californian law.

Significant changes to key bylaws should not be undertaken lightly.

This has very little to do with accountability changes required for the transition.

We are building a mechanism under which by law changes either have to be approved by or can be blocked by the community.

It may well be that ICANN's bylaws require significant review and the processes we are putting in place will ensure that the community has the ultimate responsibility for that.

Now is not the time to tackle such substantive issues.

Cheers,

Chris Disspain | Chief Executive Officer
.au Domain Administration Ltd
T: +61 3 8341 4111 | F: +61 3 8341 4112
E: ceo at auda.org.au | W: www.auda.org.au

auDA - Australia's Domain Name Administrator