[CCWG-ACCT] [ajs at anvilwalrusden.com: Re: [IAB] Please review regarding IAB comments on Mission Statement]

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Nov 2 16:54:08 UTC 2015

Another of the previous failed postings.

----- Forwarded message from Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> -----

Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 19:53:25 -0500
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com>
To: Christopher Wilkinson <cw at christopherwilkinson.eu>
Cc: Becky Burr <becky.burr at neustar.biz>, SSAC SSAC <ssac at icann.org>,
	Accountability Community <accountability-cross-community at icann.org>,
	ROELOF MEIJER <roelof.meijer at sidn.nl>, Lyman Chapin
	<lyman at interisle.net>, "IAB at Iab.org" <iab at iab.org>, Marilyn Cade
	<marilynscade at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [IAB] [CCWG-ACCT] Please review regarding IAB comments on Mission
	Statement

On Sun, Nov 01, 2015 at 05:41:38PM +0100, Christopher Wilkinson wrote:
> There has to be a global level of "coordinating the allocation and assignment of the DNS unique identifiers … ". Preferably with accountability to all categories of users. If not ICANN, then where?

This isn't about only DNS unique identifiers (which anyway do not in
fact need global co-ordination except in the root zone -- that's the
whole point of the design of the DNS).  It's about many different
kinds of identifiers, only some of which are co-ordinated by ICANN.
Protocol parameters are co-ordinated in the IETF.  There is no need to
integrate that co-ordination into ICANN, and it would be a poor fit if
we tried.

In any case, I don't think it's helpful now to talk about radical
restructuring of the way work happens or the responsibilities of
different organizations.  The only thing the IAB has been asking is
that a bylaw that is proposed to be modified anyway by the CCWG be
modified in an accurate way so that it reflects the actual scope of
ICANN's responsibilities.

Best regards,

A (speaking for myself)

--