[CCWG-ACCT] WP2 Issues from last night's call

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Nov 4 13:52:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 01:12:19PM +0000, Chartier, Mike S wrote:
> Is there a reason why we need "Internet protocol development organizations, such as" ?
>
> Why can't it just say:
>
> 4.  Collaborates with other bodies as appropriate to publish core registries needed for the functioning of the Internet. In this role, with respect to protocol ports and parameters, ICANN's Mission is to provide registration services and open access for registries in the public domain requested by the Internet Engineering Task Force.

I don't _think_ that would be a problem for me or for the IAB, but I
am sensitive that some apparently believe the IAB is trying to tell
ICANN what its mission is.  We're not, but I don't want to give anyone
such an impression.

The Time Zone database is one slight wrinkle here.  TZDB isn't really
an IETF product, and though ICANN's IANA function is used to perform
the updates and the IESG now appoints the relevant experts (see RFC
6557), the database isn't really an IETF work product.  On the other
hand, RFC 6557 does say

   The time zone community has requested that the IETF adopt the ongoing
   maintenance of the Time Zone Database.  The time zone community would
   like the IETF to maintain it in a consistent fashion to its
   administration of the Internet protocol parameters and values.

So maybe saying "requested by the IETF" would be ok there anyway.

Also, under its agreements with ICANN the IETF could stop using ICANN
as its IANA operator, or could choose another operator for some
registries (as it did for ENUM).  If the IETF decided to move all
functions, then the removal of "such as" would make the clause false;
I'm anxious not to set up a sitation where a fundamental bylaw could
be impossible for ICANN to satisfy because of the actions of another
party (such as the IETF).  By leaving the "such as" in, there is a set
of possible protocol parameter sources, a member of which is the IETF;
the actual set could be empty at any one time without a problem.

So those are a couple reasons for the language; but my initial
reaction is that it ought to be ok to remove the "such as".  I have
not asked anyone on the IAB, so I don't know whether they'd have a
different opinion.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com