[CCWG-ACCT] WP2 Issues from last night's call

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Wed Nov 4 23:38:53 UTC 2015

On 04/11/2015 22:58, Greg Shatan wrote:
> Becky,
>
> I was thinking along similar lines with regard to a reference to the
> Consensus and Temporary Policies Specification. For better or worse,
> that leaves the Bylaw subject to future changes in the Specification
> rather than "baking" the current language into the Bylaw (and that
> really might be better).

Yes, that's my worry too. As I understand it, Specification 1 only
appears in some contracts, not all past ones. And perhaps in the next
round, it mght be changed, or not appear at all. It really isn't
possible to bake a moving target like that into a Fundamental Bylaw.

Maybe we could bake the *text* of Specification 1 into the Mission. But
that's quite a lot of text.

> I think that one word is at the root of much of our difficulty --
> "regulate."  What is "regulation"?

See my e-mail of an hour or so ago: it is simply a misreading to say the
distinction is between co-ordinate and regulate. The distinction that
appears in the text is between regulation "of the services that use the
unique identifiers, or the content they carry or provide" and anything
that is not regulation of those things.

On the subject of "services", I attach yet another suggestion.
I don't like it much - it seems to me cumbersome and inelegant compared
to my previous effort -  but if it resolves your concern, and Steve
Metalitz's, about the meaning of the word "services", perhaps that's a
price we need to pay.

--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
       Monument Place, 24 Monument Street, London EC3R 8AJ

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929