[CCWG-ACCT] Separability process and role of community in decisions (was Re: Separability: picture of the relation of CWG's IFR & SCWG with CCWG process)

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Thu Nov 5 04:24:04 UTC 2015

hi all, hi Avri

Thanks for these diagrams, which I've had another look at today. I was
drawn back to them because one of the "not closed" things in my mind is the
role of the community as a decision-maker at the final approval stage of a
transition of the Names IANA Functions - if that is recommended by a
Special IFR.

My reading of the CWG-Names final proposal is that the group was after a
co-decision process - that both the ICANN Board, and the community
organised through some mechanism, would have to approve separation before
it could be done. This is similar to the approach we have used for changes
to Fundamental Bylaws.

I think with the Community Mechanism we have the vehicle to make the
Community part of the co-decision.  And through independent review of Board
decisions or non-decisions, we have some tools as a community to deal with
a Board part of the co-decision with which we don't agree.

If people agree with this co-decision approach, my remaining question is
which group is drafting the relevant bylaws - us, or the CWG.

If people think actually there is meant to be a separate Community decision
after the Board decision, they should say so now...

Also, I wonder if the same sort of co-decision process is required for the
formation of a Special IFR. My thought is not, consistent with Avri's
slides. But keen on others' thoughts.

cheers
Jordan