[CCWG-ACCT] Reflections on human rights protection and promotion by ICANN

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Nov 5 17:43:59 UTC 2015

Andrew,

As you are available, would you care to explain to the common reader
what expiry of a zone means in a secondary authoritative name server?
Either ICANN was proposing to violate the documented mechanism for
ensuring zone data is expired, and refreshed, and so engaging in
something other than a narrow, administrative-technical function, or
ICANN was not proposing to violate that rather well understood process.

But I take your point that in your opinion, there is no "right" to
continuous correct resolution which government, or any other actor, may
not arbitrarily alter.

You might also want to argue that the former CEO and Chair were in error
when asserting that the one remaining instance of the .eg zone would be
preserved, or as an alternative, that since the withdrawn prefixes were
re-announced before expiry occurred, that this was a non-event,
regardless of the utterances of the CEO and Chair at the time.

You may want to re-evaluate whether your personal experience is
sufficient to offer a cogent response to every question.

Eric