[CCWG-ACCT] regulatory/mission issue WS2

Burr, Becky Becky.Burr at neustar.biz
Fri Nov 6 19:41:19 UTC 2015

Thanks Malcolm.

I understand the concern, and you are quite right that the prohibition on
regulation of such services was in the first and second draft proposal and
received strong support (along with the criticism regarding contracting
issues).

To make it easier for others to follow, the text on the table, proposed by
Malcolm on Wednesday evening to address concerns about the definition of
³services that use the Internet¹s unique identifiers² is as follows:

"ICANN shall only act strictly in accordance with its Mission. Without
in any way limiting the foregoing, ICANN shall not engage in or use its
powers to attempt the regulation of services that use the Internet's
unique identifiers to enable or facilitate their reachability over the
Internet, nor shall it regulate the content that those services carry or
provide. ICANN shall have the ability to negotiate, enter into and
enforce agreements with contracted parties in service of its Mission."

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy
General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
Office: +1.202.533.2932  Mobile: +1.202.352.6367 / neustar.biz
<http://www.neustar.biz>