[CCWG-ACCT] Reflections on human rights protection and promotion by ICANN

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sun Nov 8 02:17:11 UTC 2015

Hi,

Sorry for the top post and long response time.

As I hope everyone knows, the normal effect of a secondary expiry timer being reached is that the server in question stops answering and starts returning servfail. Clearly ICANN knew perfectly well that its proposal was outside the norm, or it would not have announced the plan.  I think it unreasonable to call the decision more than administrative-technical (or techno-administrative, if we want to split hairs) because of the unusual situation.  Connectivity had gone down, the situation was unclear, and this plan would have at least kept the zone active until the situation could be sorted out.

I'm prepared to accept an argument that this was a bad or a good decision, but I fail completely to see how adding human rights to the discussion helps us know.  You could make a rights argument in either direction. You could make parallel arguments from the responsibility for stable resolution of delegations from the root zone.  Administrative decisions are not necessarily ones that do not ramify for rights people have. But it seems to me that, if we can get the results we need by properly constraining ICANN to freedoms it needs for technical administrative decisions, then the rights flow from the technology itself and not from ICANN decisions or actions.

That narrower conception also neatly cuts off other uncomfortable issues. For instance, if the failure were in twitter.com, would ICANN properly intervene?  I say no, but both the recently-debated chapeau of the mission (which we appear to have resolved) and the human rights references proposed might well be used to argue ICANN ought to act in such cases.  That seems risky to me.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
Please excuse my clumbsy thums.