[CCWG-ACCT] Mission/Contract

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Tue Nov 10 14:55:25 UTC 2015

We cannot be adding such mission creep holes into the draft at this 12th hour.  The consensus has always been to ensure ICANN will 'stick to its knitting' and not use contracts as a means to expand ICANN's mission and scope.

CCWG never said we had to have unanimous consensus, there will always be more things that some want and don't get into the final draft because the vast majority of the community are against such creep.  Adding this fundamentally different direction to ICANN's mission from everything we put out before and received support for before is not something we can do and call this process legitimate.

What IPC proposes, creates a giant hole in all the other careful efforts to limit ICANN's mission that a truck can be driven through.

This process is not an appropriate place for constituencies to alter other basic fundamental principles of ICANN, importantly, that ICANN does NOT engage in content regulation.  Permitting such a revision at this 12th hour is entirely unacceptable on both process and substance levels.

Robin