[CCWG-ACCT] Adler & Colvin Comments on Executive Summary Draft

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Nov 11 03:13:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thanks for this review.

I have just had the opportunity to read the so-clle "Executive summary"
and appreciate many of the comments that are being made.  I am obviously
too late to review this in any detail and did a quick read through of
this commented version. I do want to add to the impression that is a
long way from being ready for distribution.

Some areas that troubled me in my quick read:

- the absence of any discussion of how these changes complete the
requirements for transition in terms of separability and enforcing
separability decisions by the empowered community.
- the lack of discussion of how, without statutory authority, the
empowered community still has recourse to the courts if necessary that
can withstand the withering influence of so-called fiduciary decisions
by the board
- the absence of any discussion of how the statutory membership right of
inspection is to be included under the empowered community model
- a reference in regard to human rights that while there were no
statutory obligations on ICANN, the backstop of NTIA was assurance that
human rights, especially those for freedom of expression and free flow
in information on the Internet, would be respected, and that the bylaw
is a way to attempt to replace that NTIA backstop.

As this document stands I do not see it as explaining why these
accountability issues are necessary when, and if, the NTIA backstop is
lost.  I think that is essential in an "executive summary", not matter
what its length.

Thanks

avri