[CCWG-ACCT] Attempt to summarize discussion regarding Mission and Contract

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Nov 11 15:03:49 UTC 2015

I generally accept this, but see embedded comments.

At 10/11/2015 05:58 PM, Burr, Becky wrote:

>Please read all the way through to the bottom for a question and proposal.
>
>Based on our discussion this morning, I believe
>that the following statements reflect the
>consensus of the CCWG (lack of “full consensus” on 1 point noted in text):
>

>·     ICANN’s Mission with respect to names is
>described in the Mission Statement as
>follows:  With respect to NAMES, ICANN’s Mission
>is to coordinate the allocation and assignment
>of names in the root zone of the Domain Name
>System ("DNS"). In this role, ICANN’s Mission is
>to coordinate the development and implementation
>of policies: (I)For which uniform or coordinated
>resolution is reasonably necessary to facilitate
>the openness, interoperability, resilience,
>security and/or stability of the DNS; and (ii)
>That are developed through a bottom-up,
>consensus-based multi- stakeholder process and
>designed to ensure the stable and secure
>operation of the Internet’s unique names systems.
>
>·     ICANN’s Mission is limited and enumerated.
>
>·     ICANN’s should act in accordance with, and
>only as reasonably appropriate to achieve its Mission.
>
>·     Coordinating development, implementation,
>and enforcement of Consensus Policy, as defined
>by Specification 1 of the New gTLD Registry
>Agreement and Specification 4 of the 2013
>Registrar Accreditation Agreement, is within ICANN’s Mission.
>
>·     ICANN should have the authority to enforce
>agreements with contracted parties, subject to
>established means of community input on those
>agreements and reasonable checks and balances on
>its ability to impose obligations exceeding ICANN’s Mission on such parties.
>
>o   To the extent that registry operators
>voluntarily assume obligations with respect to
>registry operations as part of the application
>process, ICANN should have the authority to enforce those commitments.
>
>   NOTE:  There is not “full consensus” on this position.
>
>o   In general, consistent with ordinary
>contract concepts, registries and registrars
>should be presumed to have agreed to the terms
>and conditions of any contract with ICANN.
>
>That said, there should be some mechanism
>whereby contracted parties can enter into such
>agreements without waiving their rights to
>challenge specified provisions of such an
>agreement on the grounds that they exceed the
>scope of ICANN’s Mission.  Any such mechanism
>would have to provide adequate notice, needs to be developed, etc.

I support this, but given that we are adding that
policy should be developed through a bottom up
process, contracted parties should NOT be able to
dispute parts of contracts that are not developed
through a bottom-up process if those parts are
not eligible for (as per Spec 1/4) for bottom-up Consensus Policy.

>We do not appear to have consensus on the
>following concept:  Without in any way limiting
>the foregoing absolute prohibition, ICANN shall
>not regulate services that use the Internet's
>unique identifiers, or the content that such services carry or provide.

If it comforts anyone, I am happy to add a
restriction that such content-related enforcement
must not rely on ICANN to make judgement calls on
such content and must rely on external
authoritative agencies or mechanisms to make such judgements.