[CCWG-ACCT] Attempt to summarize discussion regarding Mission and Contract

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Thu Nov 12 10:37:54 UTC 2015

David

> It's not quite correct to say I do NOT support deleting both statements - I do.
> If it were entirely up to me, I would delete both the "contract" language and
> the "regulation" language.

You perhaps more than anyone else in the world have emphasized how control of the root might allow someone to do just that.  And yet, as we are engaged in a historic attempt to create a constitutional limitation on ICANN that would prevent that, and as the LEAs and IPR lawyers realized that and are trying to kill that attempt, you inexplicably come out on the wrong side at the most damaging possible time. PLEASE get on board with us and help us get this limitation in place.

I think you are getting hung up on the fact that registry and registrar services are services. Of course they are and that is what ICANN regulates. The whole point of this exercise is to make sure that ICANN doesn't use its leverage over domain name registration services to extend its regulation into everything else on the internet. All the definitions are intended to make the distinction between the services ICANN can regulate and those it can't. If the definitions or wording don't work, make them work, don't tell us we don't need the limitation.

I really can't say anything more on this, I am just hugely disappointed. Please retract your statement that we don't need a clear and explicit limitation on ICANN's mission.