[CCWG-ACCT] Attempt to summarize discussion regarding Mission and Contract

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Nov 12 12:07:32 UTC 2015

Hi Milton,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:37:54AM +0000, Mueller, Milton L wrote:

> I really can't say anything more on this, I am just hugely disappointed. Please retract your statement that we don't need a clear and explicit limitation on ICANN's mission.

I still don't understand why what I thought Becky proposed doesn't
achieve what you need.  We have I think fairly broad agreement on the
new, nicely enumerated and limited mission text.  Add to that this
sentence:

    ICANN shall have no power to act other than in accordance with,
    and as reasonably appropriate to achieve its Mission.

With that prohibition on ICANN going out and finding new things to do,
you have the explicit limitation you want.  No?  (To be clear, I don't
have a strong opinion about what to do; I'm just very keen to find a
way to consensus.)

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com