[CCWG-ACCT] Attempt to summarize discussion regarding Mission and Contract

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Nov 12 12:28:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 12:15:25PM +0000, Mueller, Milton L wrote:

> No. Paul R has addressed this. What we have now is open to too much
> interpretation and is not a clear enough limitation. We need to have
> a clear and explicit limitation, not a general statement that ICANN
> will conform to its mission. We need to make it clear that the
> mission does NOT include content regulation.

Well, I didn't really understand Paul's argument either, but I didn't
have a change to probe further.  What I wonder is why it wouldn't be
better to fix the part that is "open to too much interpretation".
This is precisely the point that several of us wer making before about
the way the chapeau worked: instead of adding limitations to a
too-general statement, make the statement accurate and precise in the
first place.

Why isn't that the better path?

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com