[CCWG-ACCT] Implications of bottom-up "policy" requirement

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 13:42:48 UTC 2015

This is clearly a "gotcha" type of provision, intended to form the basis of
future challenges to policies (however defined) that the challengers
oppose. It's also a statement of general principles, and to that latter
extent, it's a Good Thing.

I think the Bylaws have been seeded with such "land mines" and they can be
used for noble purposes or less noble purposes. But they will be used in
the newly expanded IRP and in the process of trying to use the  Community
Powers, and even in various PDPs.

Over the coming years, it will be revealed just how many such land mines
there are (and maybe even who placed them there and the particular purposes
for which they were put in place) when they are activated.

It's relatively easy for this to have happened in our Bylaws discussions,
where the proposed language and the discussions about that
language  are quite abstract and we have been working rapidly.  To some
extent, Stress Tests reveal these, but the Stress Tests are relatively few
and have been drafted to support the changes, so in that sense they are of
limited value.

It would be naive to believe this did not happen. Unfortunately.

Greg