[CCWG-ACCT] Attempt to summarize discussion regarding Mission and Contract

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 21:05:40 UTC 2015

All,

I would like to suggest the following alternative, in the hopes that it can
be a broadly acceptable formulation, and thread the needle on some of the
discussions we've been having.

ICANN shall act strictly in accordance with, and only as reasonably
appropriate to achieve its Mission.  Without limiting the foregoing:

   - ICANN shall not impose regulations on:
   - services (i.e., the software processes by which commands received via
      the Internet are processed and a response is generated and
transmitted via
      the Internet, to be viewed in a web browser, email client, or the like)
      which use the Internet’s unique identifiers, or
      - the content that such services carry or provide
   - ICANN shall have the ability to enter into and enforce agreements with
   contracted parties, in furtherance of its Mission.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Greg