[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG - Draft Update document for CCWG call

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Thu Nov 12 23:45:03 UTC 2015

On 12/11/2015 23:04, Bernard Turcotte wrote:
> All,
>
> As per Mathieu's email of earlier today please find the draft Proposal
> Update document which will be discussed at the next CCWG meeting.

There has been a major, unacceptable change between the last revision of
this document and this one.

Concerning the Mission, the previous revision said, on page 30

The CCWG-Accountability recommends clarifying ICANN’s Mission and Core
Values to:
* Reinforce the scope of ICANN’s organizational activities related to
the Domain Name System (DNS)
- ICANN is not to regulate services that use the Internet's unique
identifiers, or the content that such services carry or provide.
- ICANN is to have the ability to enforce agreements with contracted
parties (entities that have signed agreements with ICANN in relation to
top level domain names)

That fairly reflected the decision recommendation from the previous
draft, at least at the level of detail that appears in this document.

The new revision just released removes those statements, and in their
place says merely

"The CCWG-Accountability is yet to reach consensus on the proposed
language that is intended to address contract enforcement and
regulation."  (page 21)

That is not correct. The existing recommendation from our previous draft
Report remains intact until replaced. There has been nothing remotely
like a consensus to remove it. Please revert to the previous statement.

Based on Greg's most recent e-mail, of just a couple of hours ago, I
think there are grounds for optimism that there WILL be a broadly based
consensus to replace the previous text with his new suggestion.

But if that fails, the fall-back is the existing text, not no text at
all. The CCWG's existing recommendation remains until we have consensus
to change it.

It is essential that we follow proper process here, especially on such a
crucial issue.

Malcolm.
--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
       Monument Place, 24 Monument Street, London EC3R 8AJ

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929