[CCWG-ACCT] RES: Stress Test 18: bylaw amendment suggestion

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Nov 13 10:00:00 UTC 2015

Megan and Jorge:

The communique says that it is committed to consensus, yes, but it also says that GAC can change the definition of consensus. If you have no intention or desire to change the definition of consensus, then we will all have any easy time coming to an agreement, because we can put the GAC's current operational definition of it into the fundamental bylaws. That is what I, and most others, would consider a "clearer assurance that when we say consensus we really mean it." So I welcome Jorge's willingness to make such an assurance.

On the other hand if you are not willing to allow the current definition to go into the bylaws, then I am afraid we are just playing word games with the term "consensus."

As I commented before to another email: the GAC has committed to consensus. If there is need for clearer assurances that when we say consensus we really mean it, I feel nobody in the GAC will be against to finding the right wording that makes that clear.