[CCWG-ACCT] SIDE BY SIDE on Regulation/Contract language

Burr, Becky Becky.Burr at neustar.biz
Tue Nov 17 00:08:20 UTC 2015

Following up on this and the comparison I just circulated, and putting aside my rapporteur hat for a moment, I believe that Milton’s proposal to change “in furtherance of its Mission” to “insofar as those agreements are consistent with its Mission” moves us backwards.  We have articulated a clear and limited Mission.  We have stated that ICANN may act only in accordance with and as reasonably appropriate to achieve its Mission.  Registrar Accreditation Agreements and Registry Agreements are commercial agreements between registrars and ICANN and registries and ICANN.  While I do support established means of community input on those agreements and reasonable checks and balances on ICANN's ability to impose obligations exceeding ICANN’s Mission on registries and registrars, I do not support open ended language that creates ongoing uncertainty about whether such contracts are enforceable.

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
Office: +1.202.533.2932  Mobile: +1.202.352.6367 / neustar.biz<http://www.neustar.biz>