[CCWG-ACCT] SIDE BY SIDE on Regulation/Contract language

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Tue Nov 17 19:10:04 UTC 2015

Milton, as a registry operator, Neustar's concerns are motivated by a desire to clearly understand the contours of its commercial agreements.  Neustar has no motivation to let ICANN impose obligations that exceed the scope of its mission - and that's why the limited scope set out in the Mission Statement is more important than anything else in this effort.  That is why the language I supported specifically made the contract enforcement provision "subject to established means of community input on those agreements and reasonable checks and balances on its ability to impose obligations exceeding ICANN's Mission on registries and registrars.  But at some point, as a commercial actor, we need to understand exactly what we are signing up for.  And a contract that can be constantly attacked on open-ended grounds at some point becomes unenforceable altogether.

MM: Then Neustar better not sign agreements that go outside the mission then, right?